Refused a certificate

What is and what is not allowed? The folks in here will sort it out.
Case Law seems to be the evil wicked witch of the west at the moment.

Refused a certificate

Post by bondys007 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 pm

Have just been refused a certificate on the grounds that i didn't need one. I told them i would be selling ice-cream from my ice-cream trike.
Was refused because selling food doesn't require a certificate and also as I am not on foot I am not a pedlar ! was told to contact my local authority for a street traders license. Any one able to advise ? Does anyone else have an ice-cream trike ??

Re: Refused a certificate

Post by coffeeboy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Total load of bollix.

You don't NEED one to sell foodstuff...but they can't refuse to give you one.

However rather than arguing....Simply go back and re-apply and this time say you will be selling novelties/balloons/toys from a basket on foot.

Your pedlar's certificate doesn't actually say anything about what you will be get a ceritifcate and sell whatever you want.....rock on

Beat the b457ards at their own game!!!!!!!

Re: Refused a certificate

Post by markd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:15 am

Hope you got your certificate.

Although you may not need a pedlars certificate to specifically sell ice cream you do LEGALLY require a pedlars certificate if you wish to trade as a Pedlar. Pedaling is the method by which you trade, and distinguishes you from other types of sellers on a street.

If you were to act as a pedlar without obtaining a certificate then you would be breaking the law. The certificate gives you a legal right to trade as a pedlar.

If a police force were to refuse your request for a pedlars certificate when you were legally entitled to apply for one ( one of those provisions is that you intend to trade as a pedlar) then they would, on the face of it, be aiding and abetting you to break the law because trading as a pedlar without a certificate is a criminal offence.

If I were you I would go back to the station and tell them you intend to trade as pedlar and that you are legally required to hold a pedlars certificate ( not a license, those are issued by the council) to lawfully trade.