How to turn off Notification Emails: Instructions

You don't have to be a pedlar to tell us about pedlars that you've seen, what were they selling? Where? Were they doing ok?
Did you kiss them? It's national 'Kiss a pedlar' year of 2018!
<-- Don't kiss him though, yuk!

How to turn off Notification Emails: Instructions

Postby Ian Pedlar » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 am

I have added a BoardWatch MOD (modification) to the Forum

This new MOD (modification) allows users to set their own settings in their control panels so that if they wish they can be notified of any new threads and posts in the various forums.

Apologies up front but you may be getting emails from the Pedlars Forum for each new post as by default these notifications are turned on for all users.

To turn these off go to:
User Control Panel (top left)
Board Preferences
Edit Post Notification Options
and turn off the notifications that you don't want

This Link should take you straight to those settings

Each of these pesky emails is titled Site notification - "Pedlars Forum"
and also contains a direct link to your settings to turn them off so it shouldn't be too much of a bother.

I'd like to keep it this way so that people who have joined the forum but never participate get reminded of us so that perhaps they will come back and start to contribute.

This default working will be fine for new users as they will see it as just how the forum works but it might annoy already registered users so again my humble apologies.

I have already had one user asking me to delete his account so allow me to explain a bit more:

My reasons for installing this MOD are so that I can be informed of any new posts and topics quickly so that I can more snappily delete any spammers but then I found this MOD (modification) that everyone can use.

See my thinking there? Something that everyone can use, not just me the administrator, much better.

However it was only after installing it that I found it is set to globally send emails to everyone about everything oops! :D

Expect a flurry of notification emails until you change your settings as this new default working of the forum takes effect and once again apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards

ian
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Re: Turn off Notification Emails Instructions (New!)

Postby Ian Pedlar » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Hmmmm... This new Board Watch MOD is doing what it says on the tin but you may notice that it takes forever to post while it sends everyone and his dog an email :-B

It has already helped me weed out a lot of unused accounts so I'm thinking of trying to turn off everyone's notifications which will require some fancy database dancin' !

If I can do it without nuking the forum then posting will be back to normal but everyone who does want to be notified of new posts will have to go back into their settings and re-jiggle em'

New users will have posting of everything turned on by default.

Aren't you lucky to have such a mad scientist admin 8-}

Bye the way, bet you didn't know that the machine that hosts this forum (and all my other stuff) is physically located in America, in 'lost angeles' B-)
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Return to Pedlars ... have you seen one? Where? How were they doing?