Parrot photographs

If you have an idea of what's good to sell let everyone know.

Parrot photographs

Postby jaydee1214 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:49 pm

I have a parrot and want to charge people for taking photographs of the bird on their own mobile. Can I do that? I want to move about on the pavement outside Camden Lock, Loondon.
jaydee1214

Re: Parrot photographs

Postby Ian Pedlar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Firstly, a hearty welcome to the forum!

Bad news I'm afraid, London, or Loondon as you call it has had the nasty bully councillors remove the citizen's rights to pedlary.

Why would they do that?

Don't they have the citizens rights at heart?

I don't know but it seems to be a massive priority to them to curtail the citizen's rights to trade as pedlars.

Your only recourse is to purchase an extremely expensive 'license' from your local borough council.

Even so, what a fantastic idea!

You could wear a sign that says 'pay a small fee to take your own photos with my parrot'

I'm sure fellow forum readers will join me in wishing you all the best with your idea!

Sounds like a lot of fun \m/
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby jaydee1214 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks for reply. What is 'an expensive license' from council. How expensive is expensive?
jaydee1214

Postby jaydee1214 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:47 am

Here is another thing I am thinking about. If pedlar's licences are no longer granted. How does it compare with 'The Big Issue Sellers' who are also on the streets and are allowed to sell them. Could one not make a case for Big Issue versus Parrot selling photographs?
jaydee1214

Postby Ian Pedlar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:52 pm

You'll need to ask in the licensing department of your borough council about license prices,

interestingly enough you don't actually need a pedlars certificate to sell common things such as victuals (food) books, magazines etc. so I presume the council are ok with the Big Issue sellers.

Please see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=206 for more info and to see the 32 London boroughs that have the extra laws surrounding pedlary.
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby markd » Fri May 03, 2013 7:31 pm

jaydee1214 wrote:Here is another thing I am thinking about. If pedlar's licences are no longer granted. How does it compare with 'The Big Issue Sellers' who are also on the streets and are allowed to sell them. Could one not make a case for Big Issue versus Parrot selling photographs?

Big issue vendors are news vendors they come under different legislation, and are exempt from all street trading laws everywhere in the UK. I have seen a few "photographers" with various animals. There is a gentleman in Liverpool ( where pedlary is banned except door to door) who works with an owl. Suggested contribution £2, seems to do well. DONT TAKE THE PHOTOS YOUSELF
markd

Postby printpedlar » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Does the parrot talk? How long would it take for you to train the bird to say watch the birdie, or say cheese £2 each? If the bird can say “all six for £5” I might be interested in working with you! How about a recording hidden in your pocket?

I worked in Camden Town for many years and know Camden Market very well, I am sure Camden Council will welcome you and your parrot.

I would be interested to hear how it’s going.
printpedlar

Postby Izalias » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:19 am

Print local news on the back of the photograph and, therefore, muddy the waters to become exempt under the same legislation that big issue sellers use.

You are selling news with a complimentary parrot photo, you can't help it if people buy your items for the photo, precedent includes newsstands selling candy with certain newspapers as incentives for consumers to buy them.

It's called a loophole for a reason.
Izalias

Postby Seymour » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Humph! Courts aren't stupid! Have a look at south tyneside mbc-v-jackson 1997.
Seymour

Postby Izalias » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:21 pm

That judgement makes some semblance of sense when looking at the summary and having taken part in a law course.

The judge is correct, ignorance of the law is no defence even if the law is obscure as most law has the ability to be esoteric.

The trick is to use the law to your advantage, with the instance of MBC V Jackson, Jackson tried to create a loophole in the law by playing with a portable apparatus in order to sell his CD's. It would have been wholly different if he hadn't stopped moving for a period of an hour or so in different areas to affect his sales.

The reason why they court had to find him guilty is due to precedents, the same reason they will find regular pedlars innocent and, whilst his diligence to stay within the bounds of the law was not a mitigating factor for the verdict, it was a strong consideration for sentencing. Which is why the judge stated that he would not suffer a legal ramification beyond basic costs.

It's not that the court is stupid, it is merely that one must not be sloppy in one's attempt at creating a loophole.
Izalias

Return to What items to sell and where to get them