Birdy whistle or Swiss Warbler

If you have an idea of what's good to sell let everyone know.

Birdy whistle or Swiss Warbler

Postby Ian Pedlar » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:17 pm

This is a great little item to sell and generally looks like this:

Originally called The Swiss Warbler it now has a few different names.

The largest part is white flimsy plastic then there is a metal washer that is bent in two to hold the third part shown as the small semi-circle and this is the membrane that vibrates when you blow air over it.

You place it on the top of your tongue with the large semi-circle pointing inwards then, when it is moist you make a Sssshhhhh sound and you get some incredibly high-toned bird sounding whistles which you can dynamically adjust by altering the shape of your mouth and moving your tongue.

These are only small, about the size of a 2 pence piece and do represent a bit of a choking hazard, also they don't last very long before the membrane is knackered.

They are ok to sell to kids as long as they're not too young and as long as they understand the risk of swallowing them.

I did see a pedlar selling felt ones where instead of a metal washer there was a plastic one and they were also a bit bigger.

I found it, called the WickedWhistle it looks like this:

I found it on eBay by searching for bird whistle I'm not going to post the link here because when it expires it will just leave a broken link.

Alas it looks like their website no-longer exists.

I once got a few swiss warblers from holland for about 30p each but they were really poor quality.

If anyone knows where to get good quality ones at a good price then please let us know.

I know there are good quality ones called the 'birdy' whistle from holland but they're a bit expensive.

Their website is http://www.birdy.nl/

They have a video you can watch where an expert makes birdy noises, it ain't that easy though :)

The good thing about whistle type novelties is that they advertise themselves by sound, as you go about the street whistling away you'll get people coming up to you to have a look and to purchase.
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Re: Birdy whistle or Swiss Warbler

Postby Ian Pedlar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 pm

The chap who owns Birdy in Holland emailed me.

There is an English importer of the Birdy whistles in Brighton, check out his website here: http://www.birdyman.co.uk

Also check out the funny video at the end of this link: http://www.streetsellers.com :lol:

That fake tongue is very funny :)

They have an online shop as well at http://www.funny-toys-store.com

Great fun :D
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby blake » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:44 am

I came across your post a while ago.

Almost a decade ago I used to work for a guy from Brazil called Ali, and he used to supply me with "Wicked Whistles" to sell on the streets and at festivals in various towns around the south.

The image you have posted was exactly the same.

I have found a better supply of these, much better quality and different materials.

I have set up a new business launching in March for pedlars around the UK to have their own exclusive territory to sell my Wicked Whistles. I have the wickedwhistle.co.uk domain just to add.

I will have a website up shortly, but if you have any questions or queries or would be interested in selling these whistles, please get in touch!

The branding for the whistle is bright, colourful and fun, and I'll supply a uniform for sellers too!

info@wickedwhistle.co.uk

Thanks!

Blake :)
blake

Postby Ian Pedlar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Blake and welcome to the forum.

These whistles are excellent for peddling as they tick all the boxes:

* they are light and small
* you can move around quite a bit while selling them
* only need a small tray
* you whistle with one yourself to attract custom

It does mean that you have to learn to whistle one yourself so it is a skill that you need to learn but it's not too difficult once you get the hang of it and it's very rewarding with the weird sounds you can make :)
The first one that I display with the metal washer is high pitched so when it's working correctly you can make some really impressive bird sounds but I found that they wear out really quickly.

I saw a girl selling the felt ones for £2 each and she was doing fairly well, I saw another young chap selling them and at the time that I saw him he was dancing about whistling at the passers-by and doing really well.

Of course when you see a pedlar doing a good trade that doesn't mean to say that he does that well for each hour in the day, some hours it will be raining, some hours there'll be no kids on the street to sell to etc. etc. so usually if you see a pedlar doing a roaring trade then that is his or her exception rather than the norm.

I think perhaps the main thing to bear in mind when going for them is that you'll need to use several during each day to attract custom, if I had to guess I'd say that for a good day's trading you might go through as many as five whistles in an entire day yourself so you'll have to cost those in.

Let us know when you get your website up and running and good luck with it all!
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pedlar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:28 am

Ha!

I was just doing an internet search to see what these can be got for and I found this site that makes the traditional ones with the metal washer:

http://bird-whistle.com

It's a French site and I worked out that if you buy 200 of them they'll cost you 92pence each so if you sell them for £2 each that's not a bad profit although for me it would be critically important to buy a few first or even email them, explain that you wish to sell them in the street and ask for a few free samples first to check their quality.

Anyway, the reason I say 'Ha!' is that I notice on their web page they have a link to 'the patent' which is this link: http://bird-whistle.com/Brevet.pdf

Now it's very nice of the French patent office to issue them this patent in 2007 but I've studied up on patents and a couple of the key principles in being able to be issued a patent for an idea are that the idea must be an invention! It must be new and not be previously invented, also the idea must not have been previously disclosed to the public.

The Swiss Bird Warbler is an ancient invention, for example here is a listing on eBay to a 1938 ad for them
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1938-AD-Party ... 232e1ff5dc

and here's a link to a vintage Swiss Warbler bird whistle made in the 1930s by the Motohashi Toy Company in Japan
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swiss-Warbler ... 3a8a2400ea

And I'll wager that the original invention is much older!

So I think we can safely say that the French patent is not worth the paper it's printed on and if I were to start manufacturing Swiss Warbler bird whistles and then be challenged by the holder of this patent then I wouldn't have to do much to show that this patent is invalid.

The French ay? jeez.
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby blake » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi Ian,

Yes, the felt ones (with white plastic ring) were not that good a quality, but I most certainly never went through more than one a day, let alone 5! I would generally stick to the same 2 or 3 whistles for a good fortnight at least!

Customers would come back a few weeks later with the same whistle, but I can honestly say that if looked after and not used with more than the required force, they can last months!

Yes you would have rainy days, but people would still be out on the streets so you can make some sales at least, even if 20 sales, it's better than sitting in front of the TV earning nothing!

I also run a weather website and will work with all my pedlars around the country to inform them of any rain heading their way, when it is likely to clear up etc.

Ian, I used to sell these on the streets in Bournemouth and Poole back in 2005/2006. The guy I used to work for, a Brazilian chap with dreadlocks was called Ali. Perhaps you spotted either him or myself? His friend, Nuno, wasn't the most animated seller. I often pitched myself outside WH Smiths in Trafalgar Square in Poole outside Smiths and the rest of the time up nearer Burger King.

I'm sure the guy who used to sell wooden roses was called Ian, about 6ft 2, glasses...? Not you, is it?

Anyway, the cost you have found at 92p each, I would be wholesaling these to pedlars for just less than that (in plastic resealable pouch with instructions) as I have negotiated a good deal with a supplier but for a large quantity costing well in to a 4-figure sum.

I'm no longer in Dorset, but nearer London, perhaps you would be interested in becoming a pedlar selling these whistles, Ian, or you may know someone with bags of energy who may be up for it?

:)

Blake
blake

Postby Ian Pedlar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:05 am

Nope it wasn't me.

Well as I said in my previous post I did find a supplyer in Holland (not birdy) where I could get them for 32p each but although they were more like the original ones with the metal part and you could make really high-pitch and very authentic sounding bird noises with them yet the free samples that the guy sent me would wear out in a matter of hours.

While I wish you the best of luck with your army of uniformed pedlars whistling their merry ways towards lining your pockets :) and fair dues this may well be the easiest and funnest way for a pedlar to get started but I feel I must point out that I didn't start this thread with the intention of making money from pedlars and if I find a supplier of cheap swiss warblers I will post the link here as I hope others wiil.

I would also have to advise strongly against anyone signing any contracts or even agreeing to only buy goods from any one person as a condition of getting those goods as for me, at least, peddling is all about freedom of choice and not being tied down by contracts and if I can sell a bird whistle for £2 and it only cost me 32p then nothing should prevent me from making that extra money.

As a pedlar I might consider buying whistles from you if they are of good quality and the right price but I think I'll decide how to sell them and I'll give the uniform a miss thanks.

For you though I'd suggest that you go out peddling with your whistles but not only to sell whistles but to sell a complete business including pedlars certificate, uniform, training and a ready supply of whistles.

The buyers would pay a nonrefundable fee to get started and you could reflect this on your website.
As your business grows perhaps you could pay some of your pedlars for recruiting new members.

Heck this is such a good idea I might do it myself ;)
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby birdy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi everyone,

BIRDY the best birdwhistle available! Check it out.......

http://birdywhistle.com (wholesale)
http://birdywhistle.luondo.nl (webshop, Dutch))
http://maxis.luondo.nl (webshop, Dutch)
http://birdy.nl (webshop)

This Birdy Bird Whistle is absolutely the best available, flexible, strong, not made of paper or cardboard, but from very strong artificial material.
The Birdy Birdwhistle is packed and restorable in a luxury box and will not degenerate or get rusty!

Check out our other sites.....

http://streetsellers.com (funny fake tongue, a fantastic hot selling item)
http://streetvendors.info (information about all markets, events festivals, worldwide)

Kentra Ltd, Netherlands
info@birdy.nl
info@streetvendors.info
0031 625280342
birdy

Postby Ian Pedlar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:02 pm

I've tried a few of these whistles and I must say the Birdy was the best quality and lasted the longest.

Bit expensive though but still the best quality.

I'd welcome more messages from our Dutch friends at birdy.nl

It would be interesting to hear what you have going on in the UK, what festivals you are going to, what events you have planned, how your events went etc.

Also please post all the links you'd like (I happen to know you have a great link to a video of the Birdy whistle).

Cheers and welcome!

ian
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby robchoc » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm very interested in selling these but they seem to be so expensive to buy, would be selling them for £1 each.
The ones that I have seen online are made from paper and I don't think they will last too long, leading to unhappy customers.

So I have contacted a factory to see if they can make some for me.

I have asked them that I want the paper replaced with another material (synthetic paper) that will withstand the deterioration from the moisture in our mouths.
But they are asking what type of material to use and I have no idea what to say as I have never used one of these new whistles before.

Do any of the pedlars on here have a non paper whistle that lasts longer than a few hours of use? Can you possibly describe the material and I can feed this back to the factory.

If I manage to pull this off with a great working whistle I will be happy to share the details with you all so that you can get your own order from the factory.
Also this will be my first product to sell as a pedlar.

Look forward to your replies.

Rob the pedlar. :-bd
robchoc

Next

Return to What items to sell and where to get them