selling food.

What is and what is not allowed? The folks in here will sort it out.
Case Law seems to be the evil wicked witch of the west at the moment.

selling food.

Postby chopperlamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:43 pm

hi gang ive been reading with interest for the last few weeks, about selling food stuffs.

I'm about to take the plunge with a hot dog cart soon, but my local city where i'm planning to trade (Worcester) say a pedlars certificate doesn't cover food sellers.

ive been on the Ask the police website and found this, hope it helps others, as i'm hoping it helps me.

Question 239 What is a pedlars certificate and how do I get one?

A pedlars certificate is a certificate that allows a person to trade (often selling trinkets, household goods and other hand made objects) whilst on foot. Pedlars can travel from:
•door to door
•place to place, or
•town to town.

It is the means by which a pedlar trades that distinguishes a pedlar from a licensed street trader. The means of a pedlar are mobile, whereas the means of a street trader are static (i.e. they have a fixed stall).

A pedlars certificate once issued can be used anywhere in the United Kingdom. The "pedlar" cannot set up a fixed pitch from which to trade, but rather moves around acquiring custom. If you do want to set up trade in a particular location, such as a market place, and remain static, you would require a street trader's licence which you obtain from your local council.

A pedlar may sell foodstuffs, however, depending upon the nature of the food being sold, they may be required to register with their local Environmental Health Department.

Regional variation: Some local authorities have obtained private Acts of Parliament which prohibit pedlars from trading on 'designated streets'. In areas where such restrictions are in force a pedlar can only trade door to door and cannot sell direct to customers in the street. You should contact your local authority to enquire about any local restrictions.

A pedlars certificate is obtained from the chief of police from the area where you live. You need to attend at your local police station with two forms of identification, one with a photograph and the other showing an address where you have lived at for at least 28 days within the district you are applying for the licence. You must be aged over 17 to apply for a certificate. It would be advisable to contact your local police before attending as there may be slight differences in this process from force to force.

The police need this information to check your identity and that you are of good character before issuing a certificate. The cost of the licence is currently £12.25.

Please note that having a pedlars certificate is in no way an indication that the goods for sale are of merchantable quality.

More detailed information regarding pedlary issues is available via the website in 'Related Information'.

I'm printing it off tomorrow to take with me to apply for my certificate tomorrow incase I get someone who doesn't understand. surely they wont argue with their own information.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q239.htm

atb chopperlamb
chopperlamb

Re: selling food.

Postby Ian Pedlar » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Sounds about right to me.

Good luck with it, let us all know how you fare.
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby chopperlamb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi all, Just a quick update.

The west mercia police pedlars certificate form is very easy to do, no questions about what you will trade etc.

the young man on the desk at my local police station was very helpful. He didn't actually have the form there, so he got one faxed over from Worcester police station, I filled it in there and then showed my ID paid my £12.25 and am now awaiting my certificate.

I only hope the council are as easy to deal with when I start trading.

Atb Chopper
chopperlamb

Postby steamedguy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Looking forward to hearing about this as I too am looking to do the same.

Please let me know how you get on!

Many Thanks

Ben
steamedguy

Postby chopperlamb » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Missed the damn postman this morning. I have received a recorded delivery letter that I need to collect from the post office.

i'm hoping its my certificate, but unfortunately I cant find out until tomorrow as the office is now closed.

can someone confirm if your certificates came recorded delivery?

ATB Chopper
chopperlamb

Postby chopperlamb » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:11 am

Ok pedlars certificate has arrived, with no problems.

i'm now on the look out for a hot dog cart

atb chopper
chopperlamb

Postby steamedguy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Awesome!! Where do you plan on selling? Will you be visiting different cities or staying in one?
steamedguy

Postby chopperlamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi I plan to sell where the people are. If I can get organised quick enough I hope to be ready for the Christmas light switch ons in various towns
chopperlamb

Postby chopperlamb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi everyone, so ive taken the plunge and bought a hot dog cart trike, in new condition, after coming to an agreement with an ebay seller ive negotiated down to £950 when his opening bid wanted £1200 so think ive done ok.

i'm off to brighton to collect it on Monday, will be a nice little 3 hour run to the seaside.

will update you all when I have been inspected and got gas certificate.

atb chopper
chopperlamb

Postby markwoods39 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi chopperlamb, how are you getting on would be great to hear from you.
markwoods39

Next

Return to The Law