Little bit of clarification please

What is and what is not allowed? The folks in here will sort it out.
Case Law seems to be the evil wicked witch of the west at the moment.

Little bit of clarification please

Postby MagicPedlar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone on the forum may be able to clarify a couple of legal issues please.

1) Would it be unlawful to trade as a peddler on non-public land? E.g. Could I walk through a shopping centre displaying my wares without fear of reprisal? Could the shopping centre security staff do anything other than ask me to leave?

2) I know that buskers aren't allowed to sell in the street, but can a busker / street performer in possession of a valid Pedlar's Certificate lawfully trade in the street?

Many thanks in advance

Phil (MagicPedlar)
MagicPedlar

Re: Little bit of clarification please

Postby markd » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:24 pm

1) You are on private property, so displaying your wares would not constitute a criminal offence, but I would most certainly expect that the shopping centre management could bar you from their premises. I don't think it would be a very smart move, it would get their backs up as well as notifying BID or Police that you are a bit of a maverick with no regard for the rules.
2) I suppose if you were a mobile busker acting as a peddlar would act then you could use your pedlars certificate to ask for a fixed amount of money for whatever it was you were "selling". If you were stationary and performing for more than 20 minutes (ie not acting as a Pedlar) then you couldn't offer goods for sale at a set price, you would need to ask for a voluntary contribution. So not much point really.
markd

Re: Little bit of clarification please

Postby markwoods39 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:42 pm

My son & my mate was trading on a car boot on private land... they called the police on them and they came and went once they showed the peddler certificate and they carried on trading :). I can't see why you would get banned from the shopping center as you are not breaking any laws as long you are trading as a peddler and keep to the rules.
markwoods39

Return to The Law