street entertainment police trouble

What is and what is not allowed? The folks in here will sort it out.
Case Law seems to be the evil wicked witch of the west at the moment.

street entertainment police trouble

Postby Paddingtonbear » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Hello everyone,
I've been costume street performing in my local city for a few weeks and now have been approached by police who spoke to council and they've decided that I need permission and a license to do that there. I classed my job as busking/street performing which doesn't require any license and there are no local laws or licenses relating to this subject. Although they say that what I'm doing isn't busking in their eyes they won't say what they think it is.
Checked council website and there's nothing about street collection licenses only those relating to charities.
Anyone got any ideas? The police I spoke to on the street said I couldn't go back, is this right?
Paddingtonbear

Re: street entertainment police trouble

Postby Ian Pedlar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Hiya,

hmmm.... tricky, in Bournemouth there is a street performers license that you can buy, costs about £50 per year and you have to promise not to sing the same songs over and over again...

oh, there is one caveat, they demand that you have something like one million in public liability insurance.... this is not insurmountable though as one chap on one forum said he got £5 mill worth of PLI for £30 odd ....

you might try sweet talking the nice people in the council offices, see if they can point you in the right direction, then armed with a license the bobbies would smile, pat you on the back and say 'welldone young man, this town needs a bit of cheer like wot you bring to it' and probably wouldn't bother you ever again even if you accidentally forgot to buy the license the next year..... but don't quote me on that :)

good luck!

oh, and welcome to the forum!
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby torpedovapour » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:52 pm

get a licence like the rest of us
torpedovapour

Postby coffeeboy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:28 am

Ignore the retard saying get a licence.

no need for a licence for busking. Job done.

Tell the to do one.
coffeeboy

Postby markd » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:29 pm

Read the Live Music Act 2012, the answers are in there.
markd

Postby MagicPedlar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Just wanted to provide an update - Bournemouth council no longer charge anything for a Busker's license!
MagicPedlar

Postby markd » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Read " The Live Music Act 2012" its all in there.

They no longer have lawful authority to impose a license on a street entertainer, they cannot opt out of the latest legislation.
markd

Return to The Law