Got my badge machine today

Kick back and talk about anything you like in here. NOT THAT! :) no really, I make it a point never to censor or delete anything.

Waiter! I’ll have a tall half-skinny half-1 percent extra hot split quad shot (two shots decaf, two shots regular) latte with whip please!

Got my badge machine today

Postby Ian Pedlar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Wow, it is really well made, from Germany, and it came with 1000 badges.

Read that again peeps, one thousand!

Should give me a chance to make a few mistakes :)

I was thinking of making some 'I love Bournemouth' badges etc. and selling them for 50p each just to get a feel for it.

Whaddaya think?
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Re: Got my badge machine today

Postby markd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Congratulations ian,
I have large amounts of art work if you need any for your badge making enterprise let me know if it is of interest to you.

Be careful with copywrite images, if thats the way you are thinking of going. I have a friend who trades in badges, dont lose all your stock through a genuine mistake.
markd

Postby Ian Pedlar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks Mark,

I may use a few icons from the internet, I'll try to make sure they are royalty free.
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby markd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 am

Hows the badge machine going?
markd

Postby Ian Pedlar » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm experimenting with it :)

It's good build quality, German engineering etc. and did I mention I got 1000 badges with it? :D
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

My first effort

Postby Ian Pedlar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:03 pm

Ok, I figured out which bit goes where, found some decent software and here is my first creation.

Applause please :D

I am not entirely happy with the colours :( I have a Canon MP495 WiFi printer and the colours seem to be a bit drab so I may have to get my printing done at Staples which is a pain, they get really busy there sometimes.

Just out of interest and not that I can afford one at the moment but would anyone know of a home printer that prints really vibrant colours?

I am most proud of the fact that this was my very first badge and I got it completely right, the pin on the back is in the correct place etc.

One down, Nine hundred and ninety nine to go :D

Useful info for pedlars: The badge machine that I bought is a Badgematic 900 with 1000 59mm badges from Germany.
With postage (which only takes a couple of days) it costs £169.50 so 169.50 / 1000 = 0.1695 or 17p per badge where the only other outlay is printing then I reckon I can make a complete badge for 20p so if I sell them for 50p I make a 30p profit on each one. Remember that this includes the price of the machine.
I can get another 1000 badges for £75 from Turkey (including postage) or £100 from England which takes production cost to around 10p or under per badge.

Oh and don't worry about expensive cutters for cutting the printed part out, the badge is supposed to be 59mm but it actually measures more like 57.5mm when I have it here in my hand. The little plastic foil disk that you put in the machine measures 70mm and so should your printed piece of paper. I went out and found a conical wine glass in a charity shop which has a mouth measuring 70mm ish and I use that to cut out the pictures for the badges with a craft knife. Probably better and quicker than those fancy circular cutters for £50+ :)
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby Russell » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:23 pm

It looks very impressive Ian, the possibilities are endless.
Russ
Russell

Postby Ian Pedlar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks Russ :)

I'm not sure how they'll sell but for 50p you can't go wrong really.

I'm going to experiment a bit more with my own printer to see if I can get the colours a bit more vivid and I'll do a load in black & white as well.

Any and all suggestions for slogans etc. most welcome :D

Often T-shirt slogans will do. One of the one's I'm going to make will say 'I wish these were brains' to be worn by large breasted women :)
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby markd » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Ian Pedlar wrote:Thanks Russ :)

I'm not sure how they'll sell but for 50p you can't go wrong really.

I'm going to experiment a bit more with my own printer to see if I can get the colours a bit more vivid and I'll do a load in black & white as well.

Any and all suggestions for slogans etc. most welcome :D

Often T-shirt slogans will do. One of the one's I'm going to make will say 'I wish these were brains' to be worn by large breasted women :)

Maybe you could offer a fitting service, of course it will be 50p extra!!

PS If you look at badge sellers on ebay, they seem to tickle along quite nicely at 99p, you have a lot to sell @ 50p to earn a decent wage, even if it was all profit. Maybe 99p or any 3 for £1.99, if you want me to mind my own business just say.

59mm thats a big badge!
markd

Postby Ian Pedlar » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Mind your own business! :D Haha! Just kidding.

70mm is the size that you have to cut the bit of paper to put on the badge, when you clunk it through the machine the finished badge is about 57.5 mm diameter.

I clunked through 11 more badges, each one perfect, for the bar where I do my speed dating :) (I'm a speed dating host) and we have a gig on tuesday so I'll surprise the bar staff with these badges, here you go, I made some badges for you :)

I have only ever been out peddling twice!

At 50p I am engineering a positive experience for my next day out as a pedlar :)

Cunning? Me? So cunning that you could pin a tail on me and call me a fox!
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Next

Return to Café Pedlar