Pedling On A Bike Path in Chesterfield

Pedlars, How cool to hold a certificate that proves by law you are a person of good character!
Worth getting one just for the hallibut! Oh no, that's a fishing certificate.

Pedling On A Bike Path in Chesterfield

Postby andy1702 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm a long time reader of this forum but a new poster. I've been trading on my local markets for a few years, but the town centres near me are dying so I've given up my stall to try something a bit different. A couple of years ago I built myself a cargo tricycle (a stop-me-and-buy-one type thing), with a plywood box on the front rather than a fridge. I've never used it, but I thouught this might me the time. There are quite a few cucle paths near me and also a canal that is currently well on it's way to being restored. I've aplied for a pedlars licence and the police have been in touch to say it's been granted and asked for two photos so they can produce my card. They've been really good with info etc and said I don't have to pay anything until they get in touch again to say my licence is ready for collection.

So... I have a few questions... First, can I use a tricycle as a pedlar? Reading through this forum some seem to think yes and others no. I know the Pedlars Act refers to not using a 'beast or burden', which in modrn terms is taken to mean a vehicle, but is that a motor vehicle? Does a pedal powered trike class as a vehicle?

My next question is about bike paths and canal tow paths. Does anyone have experience of working these? There are a lot of cyclists down by the canal, so my idea is to sell canned drinks, sweets and maybe some touristy type stuff. Are there any extra hoops to jump through to sell food, even if it is all pre-packaged?

I would be especially interested to hear from anyone who has any experience of trading from a tricycle in any location.

Thanks in advance,

Andy.
andy1702

Re: Pedling On A Bike Path in Chesterfield

Postby Ian Pedlar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Officials are fucking up the meaning of 'Pedlar' by introducing so called 'case law'
I think that if you peddle out there as a pedlar you'll be fine if you make friends with everyone.
No-one will really know what you are.

Go for it
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pedlar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Ay old up! Iz e a pedlar that's peddling or a peddling pedlar?

dunno

Also, put in the word tricycle in the search field up and to your right and see what pops up.
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pedlar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Also even alsoer (if that's a word) have a look on pedlars.info (the website)
as I managed to piss them off :) but they are full of useful info and they fight for pedlars rights with things like barristers and judges and things.
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby griffman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:22 am

Just like to say I have been peddling now for 5yrs and only been questioned twice, once by a stupid local who wasn't happy about me making a few bob, and once by a guy selling a similar product as I was selling, I was undercutting him on price and he threatened me until I got my phone out and said if he didn't go away I would call the cops. I have never been stopped by a trading standards officer or the police, the police just give me a friendly nod at me and walk by. So I wouldn't worry too much about what people think.
griffman

Return to Pedlars Forum