Restriction on sales??

Pedlars, How cool to hold a certificate that proves by law you are a person of good character!
Worth getting one just for the hallibut! Oh no, that's a fishing certificate.

Restriction on sales??

Postby Chels6690 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:28 am

Hi,
I received my certificate yesterday, however the officer at the desk told me I wasn't allowed to provide one of my services and emblazoned the fact across the face of my certificate.
As well as selling goods I wanted to offer the services of face painting, using eu approved paints of course. It's my understand that although handicraft relates to an object being created by the hands, the synonym handiwork could also be applied in which the Cambridge dictionary describes handiwork as a skill of the hands and does not tie it to an object but rather leaves it open to a broader spectrum of skill.
I also understand that the checks by the police are only to note that of good character and not place restrictions on sales. If anyone can help by pin pointing this to a part of the legislation definitively or offer advice I would really appreciate it. Many thanks.
Chels6690

Re: Restriction on sales??

Postby comebackjimmy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:03 am

Hello

I am no expert but I am sure the police cannot go around modifying a Pedlars Certificate. Either you can be a Pedlar or you cant.

There may be other legislation that prevents you from doing something but that legislation is not "enforced" via the Pedlar Certificate but via some other method.

Wait to see who else comments but if you don't get any other responses I would be inclined to complain to your police authority. One question I would ask of them in particular is what legislation are they pointing to that does not allow you to do Face Painting. If they can answer that one then ask them what part of the Pedlars Act, or any other Act authorises them to modify your Pedlar certificate to say so.

Good luck and keep the forum updated.
comebackjimmy

Postby coffeeboy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:37 am

The police can NOT specify anything on your pedlar's certificate. They can write whatever they want but it has no power in law.

A lot of police forces do this as they try to stop the wide boys using certificates to do hotdogs outside nightclubs etc, or they've been fed a load of bullshit by the council who want to protect their street trading licences income.

They always ask 'what are you going to be selling' and then try to tell you what you're not allowed to do.

Simply smile at them and say yes sir, no sir at the right places, tell them you're selling hand made cards or something equally uncontentious....then when you have your certificate, crack on and sell whatever you want....
coffeeboy

Postby Chels6690 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:41 pm

So, I emailed ask the police, the following is our conversation.

Can I facepaint as a peddler? I have been told by a few people that I cannot. Would you please be so kind as to highlight the legislation that prohibits me from selling my handicraft/handiwork to the public? Many thanks.
We are a national non-operational database and cannot deal with local queries. Please contact your local police force on 101 as peddler licences may vary from force to force.

Regards,
PNLD
(CB)

Feedback Request:
We would like to ensure that we provide a useful and accurate service to our customers.  To enable us to monitor the service we provide, we would be grateful if you could give a moment of your time to reply to this email with some brief feedback:

To what extent were you satisfied with the reply you received from PNLD?
VERY GOOD - It fully met my requirements and was very helpful.
GOOD - I received the information I needed to answer my question.
POOR - The reply I received was not clear to me and did not fully answer my question.
VERY POOR - The answer did not meet my needs and I have had to seek advice elsewhere.

Please add any additional comments that you wish to make regarding the service you have received from PNLD.

Please note: The above answer is forwarded to you as part of the legal information service provided by PNLD to our customers.  Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is correct.  However, your attention is drawn to PNLD terms and conditions and the disclaimer provided by West Yorkshire Police below.

Why would it be different in different regions. What's with the note at the bottom, legal, customers???
Chels6690

Postby coffeeboy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 am

Why are you bothering with this cr4p....do as you've been advised.

If you don't believe me then go back to what's called 'the primary legislation'...ie the pedlars act [circa 1820s??]....do a google...read it and you'll see there's no restrictions...

You're arguing with civil servants and that's a waste of time because none of them are ever accountable.

Just crack on and spend your effort starting your business!!!
coffeeboy

Postby Ian Pedlar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 pm

When I got my first certificate in Bournemouth I had done a bit of research, mainly from the Pedlars.info website which seems to be dead at the moment :-o I hope it recovers.
Anyway... I found the guys in the Bournemouth police station to be very open minded, I think it was because I was also open minded and of a good attitude... there was a lurker :)
See I had read the newly upgraded docs on what Bournemouth thought that pedlars are... you need a military positional GPS radar to figure out how many metres you were since you last stopped to trade....

But when the guy asked me 'you know what a pedlar is right?' I said "I think it means that you just have to keep moving" and the lurker leapt out and said "Exactly right"

At that time it was not my remit to mention to them the politics of Bournemouth having spent 100's of 1000's of council tax payers money without asking them to get the pedlars act amended.
Nor was it my remit at the time to point out that the Manchester bill was exactly worded the same, nor was it my remit to draw their notice to the only other company selling pedlar type stuff (balloons, street stalls etc.) was only based in
Bournemouth and Manchester, coz that would imply corruption.

Though the picture of the bournemouth council crowd posing for a picture of victory after getting the pedlars act amended really did stick in my craw.

The lurker leapt out and said "that's exactly right, you're not allowed to stand still unless you are selling or have someone looking at your goods"

"Case Law" is what you need to be afraid of here, you are allowed a trolley of 1 metre squared (which is kind of big)

I think everyone likes a nice pedlar so pedlars law is that you have to be nice.
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Return to Pedlars Forum