Peddling in Cardiff

Pedlars, How cool to hold a certificate that proves by law you are a person of good character!
Worth getting one just for the hallibut! Oh no, that's a fishing certificate.

Peddling in Cardiff

Postby Lez6781 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi all, I run a business selling snowcones at events for which we have a trailer, we are planning to design and make a cart to sell them in the parks etc in the summer around the UK (wherever the weather takes us!). We are a registered food business and have public liability. So I think all we need to sell from a cart on the move is a pedlars certificate?? Does anyone think we will get any trouble applying for this and does anyone have any experience of applying for the certificte and of peddling in Cardiff?
Thanks!!
Lez6781

Re: Peddling in Cardiff

Postby Lez6781 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:21 pm

well thanks for all the replies lol

Does anyone have experience in wales at all?
Lez6781

Postby Liquid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:44 pm

hello, a cart pulled pushed by hand must keep on the move and must be stopped to trade, you cannot just pick a spot and sell from it. your cart needs to be small and have all the things on it as your trailer to clean hands ect how are you going to keep the cart cold freezer blocks or salt n ice?
Liquid

Postby Lez6781 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:05 pm

hi we are planning to build the cart so it is purpose built for what we need. the ice would be kept cool as it is now in a cool box which will be inside the cart. We will try to fit a portable hand wash but if not we will carry a bowl and a flask of hot water, this is acceptable as we do not actually touch the food and we wear gloves.
Lez6781

Postby Liquid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:49 pm

just remember all drain water now must be carried away with you to
Liquid

Postby Liquid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:55 pm

there is a cart max size for pathways cannot remeber I think it is half a meter cubed, I would love to see your cart when your finished :-bd
Liquid

Postby markd » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:10 am

Liquid wrote:hello, a cart pulled pushed by hand must keep on the move and must be stopped to trade, you cannot just pick a spot and sell from it. your cart needs to be small and have all the things on it as your trailer to clean hands ect how are you going to keep the cart cold freezer blocks or salt n ice?

This information is incorrect;

A pedlar is an ambulant trader (which means he trades and travels on foot) The spirit in which the law has been written (as interpreted by high court appeal judges) is that a Pedlar does not trade from a fixed pitch (like a licensed street trader) and that he moves about and trades from a series of different "pitches". The tough bit is how the law defines how long can a pedlar stay in one spot before he changes from being a pedlar to a street trader.

Case law says 15-20 minutes. That in effect means that a hot dog vendor can move his apparatus to one spot and stay there for up to 20 minutes before he is required to move to another spot.
If he is serving a queue of customers after the 15-20 mins has expired, he can remain in that spot until the queue has been served. Once served he must move on immediately.

If a peddlar stays in a spot for 40 minutes then moves to another spot and stays there for an hour, although they are moving the law says they are moving to a series of "Fixed Pitches" which means they are not trading as a pedlar.(this assumes they are not continually serving a queue after the 20 minutes).

As for size, again appeal court judges have said the apparatus must be of a scale and size as to be used by a pedestrian. In certain acts that size has been further defined, but the size only applies to the area in which the act is in force, cubic meter sizes as well as measurements have also been defined in these acts. The general principle is the smaller the better. One of the main principles of the Peddlars Act is scale, it applies to small goods, beast of burden also relates to the scale of the enterprise , beasts of burden were used to carry large goods.

You have to meet all the various criteria to be trading as a peddlar, its no good being of small size if you dont move.

By the way, most acts stipulate a size of no more than 1 cubic meter.
markd

Postby Liquid » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:11 pm

lol Markd, thats what I said you can stay wile your serving but you cannot jjust pick a spot and stay all day as for size your correct but have you ever tryed pulling a meter cube down a town foot path when its full of people with prams ?
Liquid

Postby markd » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Not quite, " must be kept moving and stopped to trade" that statement implies you must be continually on the move and only stop to serve someone....that isnt correct.
It might be the line offered by a council employee but that still doesnt make it true.

Be careful with the advice you offer, although well meaning you are giving out incorrect advice.

PS hows the hot dog selling going in Halifax?
markd

Postby Liquid » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:48 pm

sadley am stuck in my hospital bed at home 24/7 I got ill mate and I cannot shake it off to much time in the cold just cannot get my cheast back right. I still look in here cos your all great folks if I ever get back out there mate I will let you know if not I will see you on tuther side in traders heaven lol just look for the jolly guy qouting stuff wrong;-) tc mate
Liquid

Next

Return to Pedlars Forum