Bottling it

Pedlars, How cool to hold a certificate that proves by law you are a person of good character!
Worth getting one just for the hallibut! Oh no, that's a fishing certificate.

Bottling it

Postby Serene » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:40 am

Hey all, has anyone else ever gone out to sell and just bottled it?
I was really chuffed with myself, having been granted my certificate and made all my stuff to sell then actually got there. I thought it was all going to go so well, but when I actually got there I just felt a bit stupid when nobody approached me and just kind of walked up and down a few times then went and got a subway and read my book for an hour before going home. Any ideas on how to make it a bit more obvious what I'm doing, rather than people thinking I'm just hanging around with yarn wreaths hanging from my fingers? Pretty gutted because it actually cost me about £40 for all my materials to make everything, but thought I would easily double my money as the wreaths are really pretty and I would have bought one if I'd have seen one for sale at a reasonable price, but no, I completely wimped out and went home. Any advice?
Serene

Re: Bottling it

Postby Ian Pedlar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:20 am

I know the feeling but don't give up just yet.
Try and think how can I engineer it to my advantage?

How about you decide to make a sign 'Hand crafted Yarn reefs' and you force yourself to sit somewhere public reading your book but with the sign out and just fish.

Do this a few times if necessary.

If at first you don't succeed...

You'll soon have a yarn reef song that you sing :}

By the way, what's a yarn reef?
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby Serene » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:41 am

Hi, thanks for replying. I didn't know you were allowed to sit down =)) I thought you had to keep moving? Why didn't I think of a sign? I'll definitely try it that way if that's allowed, that sounds much better than the way I did it. To be fair it was quite a grizzly wet day, and not long after Xmas so people probably were more looking to get done what they had to get done rather than to spend money. I'll give it another crack. Do you know if there's a problem with you trying to pedle on market day? That might make it easier as well cuz people are more up for just browsing then.
A yarn wreath is like a wreath that people hang on their doors at xmas, only in different colours, doing spring/ valentines at the moment. It's basically just a polystyrene ring wrapped in different coloured wool, hung on a piece of ribbon with like felt flowers and Pompoms and stuff hot glued on to it. They're nice, and really enjoyable to make. Trying to upload an image,,,
Serene

Postby Serene » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:49 am

The image attached isn't one of mine, my files wouldn't upload so it's just one that I liked from the internet
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Serene

Postby Ian Pedlar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:05 am

Oh wow! very pretty.
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby ashcart » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Serene
yes I've also bottled it too, and that's after a few successful outings. Some days just feel right, and I can get people looking and commenting and buying ( I sell my own artwork and greeting cards), other days , especially if there no other traders around, I just feel a bit daft and eventually slink off...weird but there we are!

Good luck with it all, signage does make a difference as does very visible pricing, and anything that says 'Free' i.e.' buy two get one free'..people are often quite wary of asking about prices and being forced to converse, so if you make it easy to look at your stall they will feel more relaxed about you.
ashcart

Postby Serene » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Thank you both for replying, it's good to know it's not just me then. I know my product is good. The same stuff sells for good money on places like etsy and in gift type shops (I've put mine up on etsy now as well), but I want to keep going with this. I'll try the tips you guys have suggested and get myself back out there. I think I definitely need to work on displaying them better, and yes I do agree Ashcart, I never like to approach anybody selling anything either unless I can already see the prices because it's really awkward when they put the hard sell on you, but there's definitely no danger of me doing that! Can someone please clarify though, I thought I could only really sell what I can carry on my person and had to keep moving, unless making a sale. Can you sit down and sell? For how long? What is acceptable as a kind of small display? I've really erred on the side of caution I think, not wanting to attract any negative attention, but ended up not attracting any at all Thanks again both.
Serene

Postby ashcart » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:11 pm

I think it varies from town to town and how arsey the Trading Standard people are, in Chichester there are signs saying you must move at least 50 yards within 20 minutes, but as yet I've not seen anyone done yet, though they really don't like the hot dog sellers who have been prosecuted a couple of times.

In terms of a mobile display, generally you are permitted a small cart or unit to display goods,; I use either a card spinner on wheels which your wreaths would look great displayed on, or a home made mobile display rack . I made this from a clothes rack from Home base for £12, some green chicken wire also from Home base and deep acrylic shelves bought online , so total cost less than £30. Only drawback is the original wheels are too small for cobbled streets so I attached larger trolley wheels after a disaster or two, works ok now.

For you I think if you can find an old greeting card /display spinner (lots of shops just throw them out, explore behind the stores where the bins are, you'd be amazed what gets chucked out)on wheels would be your best bet, mine fits in the back of my car no problem.
:-bd
ashcart

Postby griffman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Serene, your product looks good, if you follow the advice from the other guys and once you have sold your first wreath your confidence will grow believe me. I had the same experience and just waited for the right weather, enough people, and bingo I sold my first item, wow! did I feel good, that one sale made me want to be there and sell more. I am not being big headed but I have sold thousands since, and I truly believe you will too. Remember you can create your own success but you need luck, here's the formula you need, PREPARATION + OPPORTUNITY = LUCK , simple really, best wishes Tony.
griffman

Postby Gillan2020 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Make wreathes while on the Job!!!
It draws a crowd, since you're making something on the spot (tinkering away) You'll be just fine. Special order.
Anyone who has a problem with a true pedlar doing their job= shame on them.
Good luck
Gillan2020

Next

Return to Pedlars Forum