Off to the police station in the mornin !

Pedlars, How cool to hold a certificate that proves by law you are a person of good character!
Worth getting one just for the hallibut! Oh no, that's a fishing certificate.

Off to the police station in the mornin !

Postby bondys007 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:47 am

I have found this site a wealth of new and exciting information. Thank you very very much. A couple of weeks ago i knew not what a pedlar was ! Upon the spontaneous and unexpected arrival of my ice- cream bike i am off to apply for my license. Am so excited :) . I will be back with details ! Many thanks for this exstensive library of pedlar information.
bondys007

Re: Off to the police station in the mornin !

Postby Ian Pedlar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:09 am

Hope it all goes well for you.

all the best mate!
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby yesmrc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:42 am

Good luck ! we are are friendly bunch on here, so if you have any problems get posting ! :-h
yesmrc

Postby bondys007 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 am

Just written a really long piece on what happened and went to submit and computer had a moment. !!!!!
Seeing if this posts and will try again !
bondys007

Postby Ian Pedlar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:50 am

I hate when that happens!

it happened once too often for me so I never trust web browsers anymore, I trained myself to click in the box and do Ctrl-A Ctrl-C each time before I click on the submit button.

Ctrl-A (control key plus the A key ) selects all the text in the box and Ctrl-C (control key + C) saves it to the clipboard ready to to paste back again should something go wrong.

Can't remember how many times that little habit has saved my ass B-)
giffgaff seem to be paying 'me' for using 'them' at the moment! Can't get much cheaper than that!
See my website for details www.ffagffig.com
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Postby yesmrc » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:25 pm

What happened ? It’s always nice to hear stories about acquiring a licence.
yesmrc

Postby bondys007 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Well ! .......
Not a welcome reception from lady desk clerk at Torquay police station - my nearest police station from Dartmouth that is actually open ! I had done my homework and rung Devon and Cornwall constabulary to find out which station to attend and what docs were needed. Lady asked what i wished to sell. I replied Ice-cream. She tells me i don't need one for ice-cream. I say, yes i am aware of that but i may wish to sell other items in the future. What OTHER ITEMS she asks. Tell her I don't really know yet but like to keep my options open and my first step is to acquire a license. I can't let you apply as you don't need one to sell ice-cream she says. I don't think you are within your rights to refuse me the right to a pedlars certificate i say. You don't need one to sell ice-cream she says. ping pong ping pong...bounce bounce bounce and so this goes on. You need to come back when you know what other things you wish to sell she says. I say i wish to sell the worlds smallest kite, first thing in my head after watching Jules video the night before ! I'm not leaving until i get to see a Pedlars certificate i say. We eyeball each other and she huffs off out the back. Uniformed officer appears - i go through my story. He says he had a gentleman in from Teignmouth the day before asking the exact same thing. Hello Mr ice-cream trike seller from Teignmouth ! Officer explains he has sent an email to CENTRAL FORCE to ask whether a pedlars certificate is actually what we need. He seems to think a Street traders license. I explain the difference. and that i thought not. I ask to see a pedlars cert and manage to persuade him to let me fill it out. He checks my docs and says he will be in touch when he has a reply from CENTRAL FORCE. I leave my mobile number and an e-mail and ask to be responded to asap. He says Pedlars act is very outdated and believes the local authority should deal in the licensing of them. Says he doesn't want to give me the wrong information and wants to double check with CENTRAL FORCE. Personally i get the impression they don't want people to have these certificates. Anyway,am awaiting an answer. In the meantime i am doing up my ice-cream trike and doing more research. If there are any other ice-cream trike sellers i would love to chat with you. Seems to be a grey area about pre packaged ice-creams and soft scoop. If soft scoop need two sinks on board, one for scoops, one for hands ?? Thinking i may sell pre packaged to start with just to get myself trading. Local authority put me onto another local authority to do with prohibited trading areas.......are pedlars allowed to simply trade anywhere on local authority land as long as you keep moving ?? I understand fetes, fairs etc is different. And am i to believe that my bike is my means of transportation. It is not a vehicle, so i cannot ride it ? It is my means of transport as stated in the hawkers act which is also a Pedlar ??
Many thanks to one and all :) :) :) :)
bondys007

Postby Bear » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:14 am

Hi all. Am posting this in the hope that this forum is still alive band kicking. I have been learning my trade as a pedlar for the last 2 years and am loving the freedom that b peddling gives. I just hope that there is a community forum still out there as it seems that we need each other more than ever. Your thoughts?
First post
Bear
Bear

Return to Pedlars Forum